Can't make it to a beach?
Never fear, we can bring surf safety to your school!
Surf to School is an alternative to Beach Education for schools that have more difficulty getting their students to the beach. Delivered by surf lifeguards, this fun and interactive learning experience allows students to gain awareness of surf safety in their very own classroom.
With Surf to School, you have the option of a 45 - 60 minute in class session or a 90 minute theory & practical pool session. Just like Beach Ed, Surf to School is affordable, age-appropriate learning for school year levels 0-8.
The cost of Surf to School is $5.00 per student and $8.00 for the theory & pool session. If you are a school in the Northern Region, please contact us for further information by email email@example.com or by calling Pia on 021 507 510.
If you have a query about the Surf to School programme, please get in touch with one of our Regional Education Coordinators.
Regional Education Coordinators:
- Northern Region (Northland, Auckland & Waikato) 021 507 510
- Eastern Region (Bay of Plenty, Coromandel & Gisborne) 027 457 1019
- South Island (Christchurch, Southland, Tasman & Otago) TBC
- Central Region (Taranaki, Wellington, Hawkes Bay) 027 450 9778
Bookings for the 2019/2020 season are open!
Selecting a Visit
The first step of booking Surf to School is to find out when we are in your area:
- Auckland Region - see below
- Northland and Waikato - contact the Northern Region office on 09 3039341
If you would like to book a visit to your school we can arrange to go to the following suburbs in Auckland city: Drury, Orewa, Warkworth, Papakura, North Shore, Pukekohe, Helensville, Whangaparaoa, Waitakere, Manukau. We can go to your school for a morning or afternoon session (or both depending on the number of students). We may be able to visit any term depending on the availability of staff.
Please send us the following information:
- School name and location
- School start, finish time and morning tea and lunch break times
- Key contact person
- The number of students per class room and the age / year group
- Preferred date/s
- Which programme does the school want to do:
- Classroom theory sessions (45 to 60 min. per session) or
- Theory and pool sessions (90 minutes per session)
- Email address and contact phone number
Email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will process your booking or answer your questions.
We will email you to confirm your information and booking details.
Health and Safety
Surf to School operates with comprehensive health and safety practices in place. Up-to-date and relevant risk management procedures ensure a safe physical and emotional environment for all participants. All instructors are highly qualified and experienced Surf Lifeguards.
Surf Life Saving New Zealand has risk analysis management systems in place for all of the activities during Surf to School. These are used to identify, assess and manage risks associated with each of these specific activities.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Where do these sessions take place? Surf to School is based at your school. We can set up in a classroom, school hall or on the school field if the weather allows. If you have a school pool available a practical component can also be added to the programme.
- What do we need for Surf to School? The lifeguards bring all the resources to you for the Surf to School programme. If you are participating in the 90 minute (with pool) programme students will need the following:
- Togs & towel
- Sunblock - SPF 30+
- What does the programme cost? The Surf to School programme cost is between $5 - $8 per child. When you make a booking enquiry we will send you information and the cost for the day.
- How do we pay for Surf to School? We will invoice the school on completion of the programme. Your invoice will be for the total number of students who have participated in the programme.
- How many bookings can you take in one day? We can do five theory sessions or three theory and pool sessions into one day. Session times will be determined by your school operating hours and the time of your school breaks. We can take syndicate and school bookings over a couple of days.
- Is there a minimum booking number? Yes. In order to cover our costs we need at least a class size to attend. This is approximately 30 students however the Auckland area may vary.
- What if I need to cancel my Surf to School booking? If you wish to cancel your booking entirely then you must give at least three weeks' notice. If a cancellation is made within three weeks of your proposed booking date you will be invoiced 50% of the total bill. If your booking is cancelled within 48 hours of the booking date you will be invoice 100% of the total bill.