Hawkes Bay lifeguards recognised at awards ceremonyMonday, 8 June 2015
The Hawke's Bay region has celebrated the Surf Life Saving season and its members' achievements at this year's awards ceremony.
The 2015 Hawke's Bay Awards of Excellence were held yesterday afternoon at East Pier in Napier.
One of the top awards, Lifeguard of the Year, was awarded to Aidan Charman from Westshore Surf Life Saving Club.
The purpose of this award is to recognise a member who has made an outstanding contribution to the delivery and development of drowning prevention services for SLSNZ. It is aimed at active surf lifeguards undertaking lifeguarding duties.
Surf Life Saving New Zealand Club Development Officer Debbie Moodie says as Lifesaving Coordinator, Aidan has been responsible for overseeing the smooth running of the club's lifesaving efforts. "Receiving Lifeguard of the Year is a huge honour and Aidan has shown a great deal of dedication to his club and community," she says.
Volunteer of the Year was awarded to Anne Cooper from Pacific Surf Life Saving Club.
The purpose of this award is to recognise an outstanding member who has made a significant volunteer contribution to enhancing surf lifesaving within their Local Area during the 2014/2015 season.
Mrs Moodie says it takes a lot of commitment to be a volunteer and Anne has worn a number of hats over the past season including Junior Surf Coordinator and Fundraising Coordinator. "She is always willing to lend a hand or offer her time to help those in her club," she says.
Rescue of the Year was awarded to Kate O'Malley from Westshore Surf Life Saving Club for an off-duty rescue performed while holidaying in Whakatane.
Aidan, Anne and Kate will go on to be finalists in the national SLSNZ Awards of Excellence, being held in Wellington in September.
Club of the Year was awarded to Waimarama Surf Life Saving Club.
Surf Life Saving Clubs in the Hawke's Bay area include Westshore, Pacific, Ocean Beach Kiwi and Waimarama. Together, they undertook 68 rescues in the 2014/15 season.
Click here to view photos from the awards.
Full list of award winners:
• 10 /11 yrs Female: Mahina Ross, Westshore
• 10/11 yrs Male: William Laver, Waimarama
• Maude Russell Cup - Top Jnr Surf Club: Westshore
• Angus Russell - Top Jnr Surf Female: Kaitlin Cotter
• Andresen Memorial - Top Jnr Surf Male: Josh Carmine
• Metropolitan Life - Outstanding Sportsmanship Junior Surf: Mahina Ross, Westshore
• Outstanding Contribution to Junior Surf: Toni Dunstan, Waimarama
• Pania Cup - Open Women's Aggregate Points at HB Champs: Westshore
• Pacific Shield- Open Men's Aggregate Points at HB Champs: Westshore
• Allan Christie Trophy -Hawke's Bay Pennant - Most Points Overall at HB Champs: Westshore
• Canterbury Trophy: Westshore
• Welsh Ladies Trophy (OW Ski Race): Kate O'Malley, Westshore
• Atherfold Cup (OM Surf Race): Bertie Bassett Foss, Waimarama
• London Trophy (OM Taplin ): Ocean Beach Kiwi
• Paekakariki Shield (OW Taplin): Westshore
• Russell Cup (U19 M Taplin): Ocean Beach Kiwi
• Burt Cup (U19 W Taplin): Westshore
• JJE Memorial Cup (U16M Taplin): Westshore
• Unnamed Cup (U16W Taplin): Westshore
Sport Trophies - Overall/General
• Most Outstanding Beach Athlete - Male: Devan Flanders, Westshore
• Most Outstanding Beach Athlete - Female: Kate O'Malley, Westshore
• Legend Ironwoman - All Ages: Olivia Cox, Westshore
• Legend Ironman - All Ages: Edward Parsons, Westshore
• Carroll Cup - Open Ironman Aggregate (Male): Bertie Bassett Foss, Waimarama
• Open Ironwoman Aggregate (Female): Katie Moodie, Westshore
• Humes Cup - Most Improved Athlete: Bella Bassett Foss, Waimarama
Lifeguarding Awards and Trophies
• Top 3 Patrollers,
OBK: Meg Barclay (114.50 hrs); Jacob Crawley (61 hrs); Kate Jones & Maia Ihimaera (55 hrs)
Waimarama: Jessica Clarke (105 hrs); Martha Wilson (66.5 hrs); Rhys Harman (65 hrs)
Pacific: Angela Sunnex (75.5 hrs); Jamie Hammond (52 hrs); Braeden Peachey (50.5 hrs)
Westshore: Tirau Wihongi & Taine Williams (46.5 hrs); Sean Meagher (46 hrs)
• Top Patrol Captain
OBK: Jacob Crawley
Waimarama: James Laver
Westshore: Katie Moodie
Pacific: Neil Hubbard
• Outstanding Contribution to Power Craft: Ryan Ennor, Westshore
• Most IRB Awards: Westshore (4 Driver & 3 Crew)
• Bart Dennehy Trophy - Most Surf Awards and Surf Instructors awards: Westshore (24 SLA)
• Innovation of the year: Simon Kay, Pacific
• Life Member Cup (Sportsperson of the Year) Ben Cross, Waimarama
• Dickson Cup Sports team of the Year: Westshore U21 IRB Team (Taylor Dick & Ryan Ennor)
• Coach of the Year Trophy: Michael Harman, Waimarama
• Rescue of the Year: Kate O'Malley, Westshore
• Surf Official of the Year: Harley McLaughlin, Waimarama
• Volunteer of the Year Durrand Cup: Anne Cooper, Pacific
• Instructor of the Year: Brian Quirk, Westshore
• Lifeguard of the Year Tremains Shield: Aidan Charman, Westshore
• Club of the Year: Waimarama
Hawke's Bay Lifeguad of the Year Aidan Charman
Hawke's Bay Club of the Year Waimarama
For more information, please contact:
Lisa Honeybone, Media & Communications Specialist, SLSNZ
Phone 09 303 9335 or 0276 488 823