Surf lifeguards who patrol Taranaki's beaches have been honoured for their hard work and dedication to saving lives at the 2014 Taranaki Awards of Excellence.
The celebration of surf lifesaving took place at The Devon Hotel and Conference Centre on Saturday night (May 24) and was attended by around 100 people.
One of the night's top awards, Volunteer of the Year, was awarded to Liam Cole from East End Surf Life Saving Club.
SLSNZ Central Region Programmes and Services Manager Jacob Davies says Liam has done a phenomenal amount for the lifesaving movement this season. "He plays a key role in the development of members and lifesaving activities within his club as well as Taranaki-wide. Liam is a fantastic lifeguard and member," he says.
Lifeguard of the Year was awarded to Ross Peters from Fitzroy Surf Life Saving Club. Ross has dedicated countless hours to up-skilling lifeguards and overseeing the effective patrolling of Fitzroy Beach.
Instructor of the Year was awarded to Fiona Climo from East End SLSC. She has been at the forefront of training new lifeguards in the Taranaki area as head instructor for her club as well as being the Chief Examiner for the Taranaki area.
Last summer lifeguards performed over 5000 hours of volunteer patrols and undertook 58 rescues across Taranaki's beaches. Surf Life Saving Clubs in the Taranaki area includes Opunake, New Plymouth Old Boys, East End, Fitzroy and Waitara.
Visit the SLSNZ Taranaki Facebook page to view some photos.
• Club of the Year - Opunake
• Patrol Club of the Year - Fitzroy
• James Hunt Memorial (Volunteer of the Year) - Liam Cole, East End
• Wendy Snowden Memorial Trophy (Lifeguard of the Year) - Ross Peters, Fitzroy
• Michael Taylor Trophy - Joe Bracegirdle, East End
• Regional Service Award - Chris Rudd, Fitzroy
• Instructor of the Year - Fiona Climo, East End
• Innovation of the Year - Fitzroy, Super Sundays
• Peter Steffenson Trophy (Coach of the Year) - Katie Watts, Fitzroy
• Sports Person of the Year - Jenna Barrett, NPOB
• Sports Team of the Year - Fitzroy Open Womens Beach Relay (Katie Watts, Zoe Hobbs, Flossie Lundon-Moore, Ariana Kereopa)
• Official of the Year - Grant Crossan, East End
• Dewar Whiskey Cup (Season Interclub Aggregate) - Fitzroy
• Jim Morwood Trophy (Overall points 12 year old Girls) - Reebekaa Robinson, East End
• John dent Trophy (Overall points 12 year old Boys) - Fletcher Moles, East End
• Dunlop Barrett Cup (Overall points 13 year old Girls) - Isabella Kelly, East End
• McLean Cup (Overall points 13 year old Boys) - Reef Robinson, East End
• East End Cadet Cup (Overall Club) - Fitzroy
Volunteer of the Year, Liam Cole.
Lisa Honeybone, Media & Communications Specialist,
Phone 09 303 9335 or 0276 488 823