Taranaki Awards of ExcellenceSunday, 19 May 2013
Taranaki members were officially recognised for their hard work and dedication to saving lives on Taranaki's beaches last night at the 2013 Origin Energy Surf Life Saving Awards of Excellence.
The celebration of surf lifesaving took place at Fitzroy Surf Life Saving Club.
The night's top award, Shell Todd Oil Services Lifeguard of the Year, was awarded to Adam Fraser of Fitzroy Surf Life Saving Club.
The purpose of this award is to recognise a member who has made an outstanding contribution to the delivery and development of drowning prevention services for Surf Life Saving New Zealand.
Adam has completed 65 hours of patrol duties over the past season. Some of the main rescues included coordinating a five person rescue effort, a big surf rescue and many after-hours rescues. As Vice Club Captain, Adam has supported the Club Captain in providing guidance and support for all Fitzroy lifeguards and patrols, often spending many hours in a support role which goes un-logged.
Adam has helped 50 new local lifeguards gain their surf lifeguard qualification, 30 of these from Fitzroy, and as chief IRB Examiner he has also qualified eight new IRB drivers and 35 crewmen.
He has been a great role model for the young lifeguards of Fitzroy and Taranaki.
Surf Life Saving Regional Manager Tim Marsden says it takes a lot of commitment to be a lifeguard and the awards that were presented on Saturday are proof of that.
"Adam has given up countless hours to reach this level of nomination for Lifeguard of the Year and he truly deserves this recognition."
The night's other top awards included Origin Energy Volunteer of the Year and Origin Energy Rescue of the Year.
Origin Energy Volunteer of the Year was awarded to Michael DeBique from Opunake Surf Life Saving Club. Origin Energy Rescue of the Year was awarded to Fitzroy Surf Life Saving Club for a rescue on January 13 when a group of six teenage boys drifted outside of the flagged area and into a notorious rip.
Mr Marsden says "the actions of all of the winners are the expression of our values, and it's the best of those values we celebrate with our awards."
Full list of winners:
- Shell Todd Oil Services Lifeguard of the Year- Adam Fraser, Fitzroy
- Origin Energy Volunteer of the Year- Michael DeBique, Opunake
- Origin Energy Rescue of the Year- Fitzroy
- Shell Todd Oil Services Instructor of the Year- Fiona Climo, East End
- Surf Official of the Year- Warren Clow, Fitzroy
- Coach of the Year- Ron Cole, Fitzroy
- Sportsperson of the Year- Olivia Eaton, New Plymouth Old Boys Surf Life Saving Club
- Stirling Sports Team of the Year- East End Black; Andrew Cronin, James Morwood, Rebecca Busing
- Origin Energy Innovation of the Year- New Plymouth Old Boys Surf Life Saving Club
- Stirling Sports Club of the Year- Fitzroy
- Patrol Club of the Year- East End
- Club of the Year - Fitzroy
- Top Open Male Taranaki Champs-.1st Javon McCallum (EE), 2nd Scott Murfitt (NPOB), 3rd= Gareth Goodin (NPOB) / Clark Ellice (EE)
- Top Open Woman Taranaki Champs- 1st Rebecca Cole (Fitz), 2nd = Kirsty May (NPOB) / Katie Watts
- Top U19 Male Taranaki Champs- 1st Adam Beavis (NPOB), 2nd=Mitchell Owen (NPOB) / Michael Watts (Fitz)
- Top U19 Woman Taranaki Champs- 1st Jerusa Lambert-Fahy (NPOB), 2nd Rebecca Cole (Fitz), 3rd Olivia Eaton (NPOB)
- Top U16 Male Taranaki Champs- 1st Talor Owen (NPOB), 2nd Lachlan Stevens (NPOB) 3rd= Javon McCallum (EE) / Thomas Cole (Fitz)
- Top U16 Woman Taranaki Champs- 1st Amy Barron (NPOB),2nd Jenna Barrett (NPOB), 3rd Cassie Wilson (Fitz)
- Top Premier Crew Taranaki IRB Champs- 1st= Fitzroy / NPOB, 3rd East End
- Top Senior Crew Taranaki IRB Champs- 1st= East End A / Fitzroy A, 3rd East End B
- Top U21 Crew Taranaki IRB Champs- 1st Opunake, 2nd East End B, 3rd East End A
- Top Womens Crew Taranaki IRB Champs- 1st= Fitzroy / NPOB, 3rd East End
- McLean Cup Top 13yr Boy- 1st Daniel Barron (NPOB), 2nd Brodie Lilley (NPOB), 3rd Jack Dingle (NPOB)
- Dunlop-Barrett Cup Top 13yr Girl- 1st Jessica Tarrant (EE), 2nd Megan Wheeler (Fitzroy), 3rd Nicola Godwin (EE)
- John Dent Trophy Top 12yr Boy- 1st Reef Robinson (EE), 2nd Bodie Malley(EE), 3rd Liam Matuku (Fitz)
- Jim Morwood Trophy Top 12yr Girl- 1st Isabella Kelly (EE), 2nd Maise Lundon Moore (Fitz), 3rd Abby Collins (Fitz).
- Cadet Cup-1st NPOB (46), 2nd Fitzroy (21), 3rd East End (12)
- Dewar Whiskey Cup, Seasonal interclub aggregate- 1st NPOB (631), 2nd Fitzroy (579), 3rd East End (229), 4th Opunake (33)
Adam Fraser from Fitzroy SLSC receiving his Shell Todd Oil Services Lifeguard of the Year Award
from Joanna Breare from Shell Todd Oil Services. Photo taken by Deidre Velvin
Michael DeBique from Opunake SLSC receiving his Origin Energy Volunteer of the Year award from Vicki Meijer from Origin Energy
Photo taken by Deidre Velvin