Hawke's Bay/Wairarapa Awards of ExcellenceSunday, 2 June 2013
Hawkes Bay and Wairarapa members were officially recognised for their hard work and dedication to saving lives on Hawkes Bay's beaches tonight at the Surf Life Saving Awards of Excellence for Hawkes Bay and Wairarapa.
The celebration of Surf Life Saving took place at the Taradale RSA.
One of the night's top awards, Lifeguard of the Year, was awarded to Aidan Charman of the Westshore Surf Life Saving Club.
The purpose of this award is to recognise a member who has made an outstanding contribution to the delivery and development of drowning prevention services. It is aimed at active surf lifeguards undertaking lifeguarding duties.
Aidan wears a number of hats at Westshore including patrol captain, IRB driver, director of lifesaving, patrol auditor, local lifesaving committee member and callout squad member.
He has been a great role model for his fellow lifeguards at Westshore.
Surf Life Saving Regional Manager Tim Marsden says it takes a lot of commitment to be a lifeguard and the awards that were presented tonight are proof of that.
"Aidan has given up countless hours to reach this level of nomination for Lifeguard of the Year and he truly deserves this recognition."
The night's other top awards included Volunteer of the Year, which was awarded to Pilar Kruger from Ocean Beach Kiwi Surf Life Saving Club and Sportsperson of the Year, which was awarded to Nikki Cox of Westshore Surf Life Saving Club, who was part of the winning Black Fins team that competed at the Lifesaving World Championships in Adelaide last November.
Mr Marsden says "the actions of all of the winners are the expression of our values, and it's the best of those values we celebrate with our awards."
Lifeguard of the Year Aidan Charman from Westshore SLSC. Photo taken by Molly Nilsson / MJ Photography
Full list of winners
- Lifeguard of the Year- Aidan Charman (Westshore)
- Volunteer of the Year- Pilar Kruger (OBK)
- Club of the Year- Ocean Beach Kiwi
- Innovation of the year- Pacific - City Nippers
- Sports person of the year- Nikki Cox (Westshore)
- Team of the year- Waimarama IRB Team
- Surf Official of the Year- Harley McLaughlin (Waimarama)
- Coach of the Year- Ryan Welch (OBK)
- Instructor of the Year- Brian Quirk (Westshore)
- Maude Russell Cup - Top Jnr Surf Club - Westshore
- Angus Russell - Top Jnr Surf Female - Niamh Jefferson Westshore
- Andresen Memorial - Top Jnr Surf Male - Hamish McNabb Westshore
- Metropolitan Life - Outstanding Sportsmanship Junior Surf - Braeden Peachey Pacific
Points Trophies from Hawkes Bay Champs
- Pania Cup - Open Women's Aggregate Points at HB Champs- Westshore
- Pacific Shield- Open Men's Aggregate Points at HB Champs- Ocean Beach Kiwi
- Allan Christie Trophy -Hawke's Bay Pennant - Most Points Overall at HB Champs- Westshore
- Canterbury Trophy- Ocean Beach Kiwi
- Welsh Ladies Trophy- Larissa Cowlrick (Westshore)
- Atherfold Cup- Patrick O'Shaughnessy (Westshore)
- London Trophy- Ocean Beach Kiwi
- Paekakariki Shield- Westshore
- Russell Cup- Westshore
- Burt Cup- Westshore
- JEE Rodda Memorial Cup- Westshore
- Unnamed Cup- Ocean Beach Kiwi
- Icebreaker Male- Hamish Beattie (Ocean Beach Kiwi)
- Most Outstanding Beach Athlete - Male- Robert Bailey (Westshore)
- Outstanding Beach Athlete - Female- Sarah Karika (Ocean Beach Kiwi)
- Legend Ironwoman - All Ages- Larissa Cowlrick (Westshore)
- Legend Ironman - All Ages- Kieran Kruger (Ocean Beach Kiwi)
- Carroll Cup - Open Ironman Aggregate (Male)- Ryan Welch (Ocean Beach Kiwi)
- Open Ironwoman Aggregate (Female)- Larissa Cowlrick (Westshore)
- Humes Cup - Most Improved Athlete- Jonathan O'Shaughnessy (Westshore)
- Bart Dennehy Trophy - Most Surf Awards and Surf Instructors awards- Ocean Beach Kiwi