SLSNZ Sport Memo 14 August 2013Wednesday, 14 August 2013
This memo contains some important information regarding sport.
NZ Pool Nationals entries now open
Entries are now open for the NZ Pool Championships in Hamilton from October 10-13. Click here for the entry memo. Entries close at 5pm on Saturday September 21.
There have been two changes to IRB racing recently endorsed by both the IRB Sport Advisory Group and subsequently the National Sport Committee:
(1) The IRB 'series' has been cancelled, however the following nationally co-ordinated events will still take place this season:
- BP Surf Rescue South Island Championships, Warrington
- BP Surf Rescue North Island Championships, Papamoa
- BP Surf Rescue New Zealand Championships, Whangamata
A regional IRB event is still planned in the Northern Region.
(2) As the series is no more, the subsidy provided to South Island teams competing in the series will no longer be available.
Event Safety Officer Training - coming soon
Training will soon be developed and delivered to those event managing competitions, and acting in the newly created 'event safety officer' position. This training will cover risk assessment and risk management, and basic search and rescue (SAR) incident management.
NZ SLS Championships South Island subsidy cap
To ensure a sustainable event budget is maintained, a cap will be placed on the subsidy that is provided to South Island athletes travelling to the NZ Surf Life Saving Championships in Ohope in March. Athletes will be subsidised up to $100 each, with a cap of $25,000 total expense to SLSNZ. Last year the subsidy was provided for 210 athletes for a total of $21,000. If more than 250 athletes apply the amount will be reduced on a pro-rata basis.
New events for NZ SLS Championships 2014
After endorsement by the National Sport Committee, work is currently being undertaken to include the following events at the NZ SLS Championships:
- Run-swim-run (age groups to-be-confirmed)
- Surf Boats: To align with International and Male practice, the U21 Female age-group will be replaced by U19 and U23 Females.
SLSNZ Sport Manager
Download a PDF version of this memo (pdf, 287kb)