Dramatic rescue at Port WaikatoWednesday, 3 April 2013
Sunset Beach lifeguards have been credited with preventing a mass drowning of 10 rock fishermen on Easter Monday.
They were rescued from a rocky outcrop at Port Waikato after getting trapped in four-metre swells and a rising tide.
Lifeguards swam about 50m out to the fishermen, then swam each of them back to the safety of a small bay opposite the outcrop where they awaited the Westpac Rescue Helicopter.
The incident is a timely reminder to beach-goers to be extra-cautious from now on, with beach patrols officially ending at Easter but sunny weather expected to continue.
- NZ Herald- www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10874735
- Stuff.co.nz: www.stuff.co.nz/national/8495152/10-fishermen-rescued-from-massive-waves
- 3 News- www.3news.co.nz/10-rescued-fisherman-foolish---lifesavers/tabid/423/articleID/292599/Default.aspx
- 3 News- www.3news.co.nz/10-fishermen-rescued-at-Port-Waikato-beach/tabid/423/articleID/292548/Default.aspx
- TVNZ- www.tvnz.co.nz/national-news/fishermen-rescue-highlights-water-safety-5392179
- Newstalk ZB- www.newstalkzb.co.nz/auckland/news/nbnat/591917830-korean-fishermen-were-totally-unprepared--says-lifeguard