Rena Update: 10 Jan 2012

Posted by Administrator on Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Surf Life Saving New Zealand is very aware of the situation that is continuously unfolding at Mount Maunganui with the Rena, we have dedicated staff members, lifeguards and volunteers who are on the ground monitoring the situation.

It has been little over 7 hours since the back half of Rena sunk; we will know a lot more over the next couple of days as to the severity of the damage and the consequences this has on SLSNZ's ability to deliver programmes and services around the wider Bay of Plenty region.

The next 24-48 hours of drift, wind direction and swell size will determine the main areas of concern; SLSNZ is continuing to monitor the situation closely and liaise directly with experts on the ground enabling us to react to this situation quickly and make well informed decisions for our membership.

We hope to have more information over the next couple of days and will communicate with you again by Friday.

Please rest assured that SLSNZ do have detailed contingency plans in place to ensure the successful delivery of major events scheduled for Mount Maunganui beach.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions; although once a decision is made we will let you know as soon as possible.

« Previous Article Next Article »