Get out of the classroom and enjoy the beach safely!
Beach Ed is a full day surf safety course delivered at the beach by surf lifeguards. Beach Ed is age-appropriate learning for school year levels 1-8 and is delivered at various surf lifesaving clubs for groups of between 30 and 100. Beach Ed also covers module 8 of Swimming NZ Kiwi Swim Safe Program. Activities on the day may vary depending on conditions.
Beach Ed Modules:
- Tour of club
- Teaching of surf safety rules - number of rules depends on year group
- Identification of and how to escape a rip current
- Beach games - relating to a skill to stay safe on the beach including a sand sculpture of a rip current
- How to set up a beach patrol - reinforces safety messages
- Water activities - may include mock rescues, body boards, channel/hole identification, survival using flotation device.
- Lifeguard in a rip
- Sun smart
Beach Ed Staff Contacts:
- Northern Region Enquiries: 09 303 9341
- Bay of Plenty/Gisborne: Sarah (027 457 1019)
- South Island: Caitlin (027 680 3756)
- Wellington/Taranaki/Hawkes Bay: Troy (027 450 9778)
Please note Beach Ed will go ahead unless a civil defense coastal/tsunami warning is issued for your Beach Ed day. If unsure contact the above staff.