What is the Duke of Edinburgh’s Hillary Award and why should I get involved?
The concept of the Duke of Edinburgh’s Hillary Award(the Award)is simple –anyone aged 14 to 24 can do a programme at one of three progressive levels which, when successfully completed, lead to a Bronze, Silver or Gold Award. Because Award programmes are all about getting out there, having fun and self-development, everyone can achieve something. You’ll find yourself helping people or the community, getting fitter, developing skills, going on an adventurous journey and at Gold level only, taking part in a residential activity.
“"The development of character and skills such as confidence, communication, problem-solving and resilience is crucial for all young people”.”
Click below for the guide to completing your Duke of Edinburgh's Hillary Award with Surf Life Saving.INFORMATION BROCHURE
How Surf Life Saving Clubs register to become an Award Unit:
Surf Life Saving New Zealand is already registered as a National Organisation within The Duke of Edinburgh’s Hillary Award structure. This means that all Surf Life Saving Clubs throughout New Zealand can register as individual Award Units under this umbrella.
To register, follow these steps:
- The Surf Life Saving Club appoints an Award Leader for their Club.
- The Award Leader emails their name, and the name of their unit, to Jessica Zanetti, Award Delivery Advisor: email@example.com
- Jessica emails back an application form, plus login details to access the online training for Award Leaders.
- The Award Leader completes the form and returns it to Jessica. Note: Completing this form confirms that the Safety Management System and Child Protection Policies put in place by your club meet the Award’s requirements to have these in place and that the organisation agrees to the Terms and Conditions for operating an Award Unit.
- The Award Leader successfully completes the Online Training for Award Leaders.
- Jessica finalises the setup of the Award Unit and emails confirmation of registration together with login details for the Online Record Book (ORB) - www.onlinerecordbook.org
- The Award Leader asks participants to register themselves with the Online Record Book, letting them know they can pay their registration fees through the ORB payment gateway.
Note: Award Units that prefer to manage the registration payments themselves need to email firstname.lastname@example.org so that the option can be loaded into ORB by the Award’s National Office.
Once registration is complete … All Award Units:
- Become part of the Award’s online community and Regional Hub network.
- Receive updates and regular newsletters from the Award’s National Office.
- Receive access to all training delivered through the Hub network.
- Receive Macpac Award Leader rewards, including 60% discount on purchases made instore.
For further information regarding the registration process, please call Jessica on (04) 560 4348 or email email@example.com