Investing in our People.
Investing in our Future.
bp Leaders for Life is SLSNZ's premier leadership development programme for current and emerging club leaders aged 20-35 years.
This is an excellent opportunity for candidates to improve their leadership skills, as well as create relationships and connections across clubs and regions throughout NZ. The programme content will also aid you in your career outside of surf lifesaving. The ultimate objective is to upskill and retain our people with the view that they can lead their clubs and our movement into a sustainable and vibrant future.
APPLICATIONS ARE CLOSED FOR 2021
bp Leaders for Life Programme Philosophy
- Strength-based: Builds on existing strengths and the application of those strengths to be an effective leader
- Tailored: Informed by both individual aspirations and requirements of the leadership role.
- Personal responsibility: Leaders take responsibility for their own learning and application of that learning.
- Accessible: Leadership support is available when it's needed.
- Development support: Adult learning principles; 'learn - do - reflect'
Benefits & Outcomes for bp Leaders for Life Participants
- Expanded awareness of your leadership strengths and areas for improvement
- Increased ability to communicate in an effective and compelling manner
- Greater understanding of how to build trust and be influential
- Improved ability to engage and mobilise others
- Deeper understanding of how to build constructive relationship and lead change
- Team leadership personal profiler (self-refection tool) completed by Team Management Services NZ
- Increased connection with the wider Surf Lifesaving community
- Learn more about yourself and others from challenge, success and failure, self reflection and feedback.
- High-profile guest speakers who will speak about their leadership experiences, leading for impact and leading for change
- Personalised leadership mentoring
bp LEADERS FOR LIFE PROFILES bp LEADERS FOR LIFE YEARBOOK
The impact of bp Leaders for Life is enormous and is best evidenced by the impact that these young leaders are having at a club, community and national level for surf life saving as well as in their professional careers. Our graduates are taking up numerous roles across surf life saving including board & committee members, lead instructors, examiners, & patrol auditor positions as well as returning to the programme as bp Leaders for Life programme facilitators and mentors. We are incredibly proud of their achievements.
With the support of SLSNZ’s major partner bp, the course – which normally costs $3000 per person – is heavily subsidized, resulting in an affordable fee of only $400 per person (which includes travel and accommodation). Successful candidates attend a series of workshops across the country throughout the year, each focused on a different set of leadership skills.
- Current SLSNZ member
- Aged between 20 - 35 years
- Participants will be current or emerging leaders at club level
- You need to be able to attend all 5 workshops throughout the country
- You will have aspirations to make a real difference and recognise your need to develop as a leader
- Your club must endorse your application and provide a letter of support outlining your suitability to attend the bp Leaders for Life.
- Once the applications have closed, a short list of candidates will be selected to proceed through to an interview stage. From then, a group of 15 candidates will be selected for this year's programme.
- Workshop 1 – Bay of Plenty: 9, 10, 11 July 2021
- Workshop 2 - Wellington: 18 & 19 September 2021
- Workshop 3 - Auckland: 13 & 14 November 2021
- Workshop 4 - Christchurch: 5 & 6 March 2022
- Workshop 5 – Bay of Plenty: 13, 14, 15 May 2022
Applications for the 2021-22 programme have now closed.
- Who is eligible? SLSNZ members aged 20-35 are eligible to apply
- What is the closing date for applications? 30th May 2021
- Is there a cost? The majority of this progamme is funded by SLSNZ and bp. As with most member education, there is a user pays charge. This amount of $400 will be invoiced to your club and the club will then have the option of paying for it, or asking the user to pay.
- Can I apply to be a part of a programme even if I've already participated in an SLSNZ leadership programme in the past? Absolutely!
- When does bp Leaders for Life start and how long does it go for? The programme starts in July each year and runs for 10 months. View the 2021/22 schedule here.
- Can I do the programme with friends? Your friends may also apply, but there is no guarantee that they will be on the programme with you. However, you will definitely make a great deal of new friends and contacts through bp Leaders for Life
- Can SLSNZ staff be a part of bp Leaders for Life? Yes, as long as they are a member of a club.