RWC Exam - Coromandel
Tel: 027 562 3337
The Rescue Water Craft (RWC) commonly known as a Personal Water Craft (PWC) or Jetski is specially outfitted for surf interaction and operated by experienced Surf Lifeguards.
As the operator of a Rescue Water Craft you are responsible for the safety of your crew, the public and yourself. It is important that you understand the risks inherent in operating this type of equipment and your role in assessing and minimising risk.
The qualification has a number of theoretical and practical components such as driving in the surf, patient pick up and maritime regulations to prepare experienced Surf Lifeguards for RWC use.
EXAM COST - FREE*
Eastern Region covers the cost of this exam however, please note, if you register for this exam and withdraw your registration within a week of the exam without valid reason or notification, you will be charged the full cost of the exam, which is $60.
- Complete the online pre-learning course
- Attend a SLSNZ regionally endorsed facilitated RWC Introduction Course (two days)
- Complete the RWC Operators Workbook including logged operator hours
- Successfully complete all components of the examination (Theory and Practical)
- Theory test
- RWC setup and equipment
- Crewing the RWC
- RWC capsize
- Single person rescue
- Driving skills
- Emergency maneuvers
- RWC close-down
At the completion of the exam, the candidate will be able to:
- Demonstrate and explain the factors involved in the set up and close down of an RWC hull
- Have knowledge in the RWC Safety Case and Maritime regulations.
- Operate a RWC as a Qualified Operator
- Current & active member of a SLS club
- Surf Lifeguard Award (refreshed)
- 20 years of age minimum on the first day of the introductory course.
- Marine VHF Radio Operators Certificate
- Senior Lifeguard Award - IRB Driver (refreshed)*
- Full Motor Vehicle Licence (Class 1)
- Surf First Aid (refreshed)**
- 400m Pool swim under 7.30 minutes
*A minimum of 2 years from IRB Award including 2 seasons operating as a IRB driver is required (at a minimum one IRB driver refresher must have been completed in the last year)
**An RWC Operator must hold Surf First Aid prior to attending their RWC Introduction Course
Highly recommended: Advanced Surf First Aid (refreshed) | Advanced Lifeguard Award