Hawkes Bay Introduction to Surf Coaching
Tel: 027 677 2300
The Introduction to Surf Coaching Course provides an entry level coaching course for junior surf coaches, parents and clubbies new to coaching at a junior surf level. The course aims to provide the knowledge and skills needed to coach at Junior Surf level at a Surf Life Saving Club. It covers a range of Junior Surf activities with a special emphasis on a holistic coaching approach.
The Introduction to Surf Coaching course is the first step on the Surf Life Saving New Zealand coaching pathway. Coaches interested in further developing their coaching skills can then progress to the Developing Surf Coach Course.
Pre requisites: Current member of a SLS club | 14 years of age
Course Duration: One day
Course Facilitator: Brad O'Leary
Who should attend: Any Surf Life Saving Club members interested in getting started in Junior Surf coaching or parent helpers of Junior Surf programmes.
Participant requirements: To successfully complete the Introduction to Surf Coaching Course participants need to attend the full course and participate in its activities.
To enrol into this course please contact your Club Administrator or email@example.com
- Athlete centered coaching
- Skill progressions and modified games
- Events and rules for Junior Surf Athletes
- Communication in Junior Surf environment
- Management and effective coaching
- Resources and Support
At the completion of this course coaches will be able to:
- Identify basic principles of coaching and how to apply these in a safe surf environment
- Run structured sessions where your athletes learn more and have fun
- Demonstrate knowledge of effective communication to children
- Describe how surf activities can be modified for Junior Surf athletes
- Demonstrate knowledge of the rules of Junior Surf sports
- Identify how to provide a safe learning environment for a Junior Surf session
- Plan a Junior Surf session