Oceans' 22 (Cancelled)
Tel: 027 457 1021
The attached memo provides detailed information regarding the status of all remaining SLSNZ competitions & carnivals in the 2022 season.
SLSNZ acknowledges and thanks the membership for their patience during this time of uncertainty. Since New Zealand moved into the COVID Protection Framework (CPF) RED setting on Sunday 23rd of January it has been an unsettling time for everyone as we attempt to navigate our way forward.
The impact of COVID-19 on Lifesaving Sport in the last two years has been significant. The cancellation of 2020 IRB Nationals, Oceans’ 21 finals day, the 2021 TSB Nationals and the 2021 National Pool Rescue Championships as well as numerous regional and club competitions has tested the motivation and resolve of our membership to continue to contribute to their communities as well as enjoy the challenge and comradery of our sport.
The good news is that the majority of competitions can still be delivered, albeit with a few changes to how they run. Sport & Event Managers and volunteers have done a great job over the past two seasons to get events up and running with ever-changing rules & restrictions.
Obviously a key focus has been on Oceans, Nationals & IRBs.
Over the past week, the SLSNZ sport team and the membership have been providing Senior Management & the Board with ongoing feedback and information as to if and how these events could be run and the associated risks. The SLSNZ Board met last night and determined the following:
- Oceans 22 will be cancelled
- TSB Nationals will continue as planned, however with considerable uncertainty and risk, which all clubs & individuals will need to assess and determine their attendance
- IRBs are still under consideration (we have a bit more time and flexibility with these, but not a lot)
Where competitions have been cancelled, SLSNZ will work with Local and Regional Sport Committees to investigate additional or alternative options.
Given the rapid and continual change to COVID-19 related restrictions, the level of infection in any given location and the community sentiment towards running activities, each competition will continue to be assessed as to the associated potential risk with postponements or further cancellations still a possibility.
SLSNZ will host an online session for members to discuss and ask questions on Wednesday February 9 at 7.30pm (link in memo)
See memo here
Welcome to Oceans’ 22, a celebration of Under 14 Surf Life Saving sport. Oceans’ has a proud history of being not only the largest Junior Surf Life Saving Event in New Zealand, but the most competitive, exciting and fun!
Returning to Mt Maunganui for 2022, we invite you to celebrate the very best of future Surf Life Savers as our members compete for their friends and against their fellow athletes.
- To learn the skills required to gain the Surf Lifeguard Award.
- To provide the best possible life saving experience for all juniors with the view to encouraging long-term active participation.
- To provide opportunities for juniors to actively participate in and enjoy life saving and competition in an aquatic environment.
- To ensure our junior member are safe on New Zealand's beaches through building knowledge and experiences in the Junior Surf Programme.
- To develop a team based philosophy encompassing leadership, camaraderie, teamwork, and fun.
- To promote social, emotional and physical growth and development in a healthy and safe environment.
Entries will open 20th December 2021 via the EnterNow system and will close at 10am on Monday 14th February 2022.
Covid Protocols – Fully Vaccinated Event
Events & Gatherings (Competitions & Carnivals) organised by Surf Life Saving New Zealand will require proof of vaccination from all eligible people to attend and be involved.
The Bay of Plenty region is currently in “Orange” under the new COVID – 19 Protection Framework. Whilst at this restriction level, Oceans’ 22 will operate as a “Fully Vaccinated” event, allowing us to operate with more flexibility.
All SLSNZ members associated with this competition:
- will be required have a current My Vaccine Passport (MVP). Or in the case of those competitors who are under the age of 12 years and 3 months old (born before 27 November 2009), they will be MVP Exempt as per government guidelines.
- Scan in with the Event QR poster, or utilize the Bluetooth COVID App.
For more information see the Event Entry Circular and other event information:
Pre-existing Medical Condition
All participants and Event Crew with a pre-existing medical condition must complete and submit a Pre-Existing Medical Conditions Declaration form prior to the close of entries. These forms are to be submitted to the Event Manager (Mark Inglis) by email to email@example.com . However, participants are encouraged to submit these as early as possible.
It is important to note that that a pre-existing medical condition includes a concussion event that has occurred prior to this event.
Once submitted, the forms will be reviewed by SLSNZ and a decision will be made on whether a Competitor Waiver form is required to be completed.
- Pre-Existing Medical Conditions Declaration Form - pdf
- Pre-Existing Medical Conditions Declaration Form - docx
- Competitor Waiver Form - Under 18 - pdf
- Competitor Waiver Form - Under 18 - docx
Exhibitor Information & Applications
Due to the recent changes in the COVID Protection Framework settings to RED, SLSNZ has reviewed each of our competitions in order to determine if modification, postponement, location change, cancellation and replacement or full cancellation is required to reduce the risk profile.
Part of the risk assessment process identified activities and attendees not required as part of the core delivery of the events and unfortunately we will no longer be able to accommodate exhibitors at Oceans.
Online merchandise orders
Click Here to order your Oceans' 22 merchandise (available shortly)