Bay of Plenty Rock Rescue Module
The Rock Training & Rescue Module (RTM) is the starting point for training lifeguards in rock activities and operations. The RTM gives Surf Lifeguards the knowledge and skill required to perform rock entries, exits and rescues.
Prerequisites: 14 years of age | Surf Lifeguard Awards (Refreshed) | Current member of a SLS club
Duration: Half-day (3-4 hours)
Delivered by: Club members who hold their Rock Instructors Award
Who should complete it: Any lifeguards whose clubs are in close proximity to rocks and that regularly require them to perform rock rescues
- Attend Rock Training & Rescue Module training session with the club Rock Instructor
- Successfully complete all components of the practical examination
- Identify equipment and safety considerations required
- Perform a Rock Entry
- Perform a Rock Exit
- Conscious patient rescue
- Safety Preparation
- Equipment & PPE
- Rock Entries
- Rock Exits
- Risk Management
- Contingency Plans
At the completion of the module candidates will be able to:
- List the necessary equipment required for rock swimming.
- Discuss safety considerations that should be made during rock activities.
- Explain the key technical points of performing successful rock entries and exits.
- Identify suitable entry and exit points.
- Successfully, safely and confidently perform a rock entry and exit.
- If caught off guard by the swell, take action to maintain their safety.
- Perform a conscious patient rock rescue.
Register here by Sunday 5th September 2021, please note that this course has limited spaces available.